Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I don't know the artist of this one, but I think its one of the most beautiful representations of a personality I've ever seen. In the book, the monster created by Frankenstein was not a monster at all, just a lonely child (well, a 7 foot tall, sin-of-god :]) looking to be understood as would any other child that did not ask to be created and then have the creator ignore the responsibility now owed to it. He wears glasses because he was created from the parts of other people and it's likely his eyes are from someone older and he's probably more blind than not (and he would need them to read as he often does), and I think the way he stands as though barely holding himself upright represents his emotional state as well. He looks exhausted and miserable and the crooked cross just emphasizes that he has been forsaken by absolutely everyone and has no one to turn to. Poor guy. I kinda just wanna hug him :(



This is another favorite of mine, Goya's 'Sleep of Reason.' And I think its very psychological in the way that it shows how when you sleep, not only does your body sleep but your logic does as well. So all your fears that in the daylight you would know are irrational are free to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment